Missing Moves Traffic Advisory For Aug. 25: Expect Rt. 42 SB lane closures as project continues to move forward; Leaf Avenue ramps will be closed at night
New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials announced lane closures on southbound Route 42 to implement a traffic shift and establish a median work zone, as the I-295/Route 42 Missing Moves are progressing at Deptford, Bellmawr and Runnemede.
Beginning at 9 p.m. Thursday, August 25 until 6 a.m. Friday, August 26, NJDOT contractor South State Inc. is to close two lanes on southbound Highway 42 between Creek Road/CR 753 in Bellmawr and the Route 55 interchange in Deptford. .
In addition, the southbound Exit 14 ramps on Route 42 to and from Leaf Avenue will be closed and rerouted at the same time.
The lane and ramp closures are required to implement a traffic shift on Route 42.
At least two lanes of traffic will be maintained at night. By 6 a.m. Friday, southbound Highway 42 will be moved to the right shoulder to allow for construction in the median.
The following diversions will be in place overnight:
Route 42 SB Exit 14 Ramp to Leaf/Harding Aves. DEVIATION:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 southbound wishing to take Exit 14 to CR 753/Creek Road/Bellmawr will be advised to continue on Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 13 to Route 55 Southbound/Glassboro/Vineland
- Take exit 58 towards CR 621/Deptford/Almonesson
- Turn left onto Almonesson Road
- Turn right onto Route 47/Delsea Drive northbound, which becomes Broadway
- Turn right on Creek Road before Brooklawn Circle
- Take Creek Road back to Harding Avenue
Avenues Leaf/Harding. Ramp to Route 42 SB detour:
- Motorists wishing to take Route 42 southbound from Leaf/Harding Avenues will be advised to continue on Creek Road eastbound
- Turn right on Edgewood Avenue, which becomes Benigno Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 northbound
- Take Route 42 northbound, which becomes I-76 westbound
- Take exit 1C/Market Street
- Turn left onto Market Street
- Turn right to take the eastbound ramp to I-76, which becomes Route 42 southbound
The federally funded $180 million project will construct new ramps connecting northbound Highway 42 to southbound I-295 and northbound I-295 to southbound Highway 42 to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two routes.
These are commonly referred to as the “missing moves”.
The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road.
The majority of the project will be built off the roads and will have minimal traffic impact on Routes 42 and I-295.
The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2023.
The post has been updated.